- provides a comprehensive introduction to sociolinguistics
- draws on a range of real texts, from an interview with Madonna to the Japanese Asahi Evening News
- uses real studies designed and conducted by students
- provides key readings with commentaries from works by major internationally known authors such as Norman Fairclough, Deborah Cameron, Braj Kachru, Jennifer Coates, Mark Sebba, and Malcolm Coulthard
- is accompanied by a supporting website.
New to this edition:
- an entire new section on forensic linguistics
- additional material on language and gender, conversation analysis and spoken discourse
- comprehensively updated exercises, readings and references.